It is pumpkin season and one of the ways I enjoy pumpkins is in soups. Pumpkin has a very mild earthy taste that adds a depth of flavor to the soup. Pumpkin soup is a staple in our house during winters and I love trying out new flavor combinations to get maximum taste and nutrition.
Today’s recipe is a combination of pumpkin and carrot that makes this recipe Vit A rich a nutrient that is essential for growing babies and children. The coconut milk adds creaminess to the soup that balances out the earthy flavors from the pumpkin and carrot.
New mothers may wonder,
CAN YOU GIVE PUMPKIN TO A 6-MONTH-OLD BABY?
The answer is, Yes. Pumpkin is a great option as a first food. The flavor profile is mild and most babies enjoy pumpkin in steamed or pureed form. The orange color vegetable has many benefits, it is packed with Vit A, lutein and zeaxanthin that help protect eyesight. Babies need Vit A to support growth and development and to build immune system.
Let’s take a look at this quick and easy pumpkin soup recipe for babies.
Pumpkin Soup For Babies
- 1 cup Pumpkin pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- salt to taste
- In a soup pot heat some oil and add bay leaves, ginger, garlic and lightly sauté without burning.
- Once this is sautéed add the onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add the carrot and pumpkin pieces, followed by water and turmeric powder, pepper powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Cook until the pumpkin pieces are soft and turn off the heat.
- Once this is cooled, blitz in a mixer grinder and add back to the pot with some coconut milk/milk cream and heat before serving.
- Toppings can be toasted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds or more coconut milk/cream. (Make into a powder for babies.)
If you are a busy mom these baby led weaning ideas can come in handy on days you are rushed and don’t have time to cook an entire meal from scratch.
Related reading : Healthy toddler meal ideas and recipes.
Don’t forget to save this pin on Pinterest to refer the recipe later.
For more soup recipes for babies, toddlers and older kids check this previous post of mine.
The combination of pumpkin with whole spices, pepper and turmeric alongside healthy fats makes this soup the perfect potion to support immune health in the cold season. I hope this yummy soup adds warmth to your winter table.
Until next time!
1 thought on “Easy Pumpkin Soup For Babies, Toddlers And Kids”
Pumpkin soup is indeed a good recipe for babies thank you Ophira for the amazing recipe I will share this to my sister for her kid.