Introducing your baby to solid foods is an exciting milestone, and making wise choices about the baby’s diet is crucial. Pea soup is a nutritious and flavorful option that can benefit your little one’s health and development. In today’s post, we’ll explore why pea soup is an excellent choice for babies and toddlers, provide tips for incorporating it into your baby’s diet, and give you a nutrient-dense pea soup recipe for babies and toddlers.
THE BENEFITS OF PEA SOUP FOR BABIES AND TODDLERS
- Nutrient-Rich: Peas are a nutritional powerhouse, packed with vitamins and minerals that are essential for your child’s growth. They are rich in vitamin K, vitamin C, iron, potassium, and magnesium.
- Fiber for Digestive Health: They are also a good source of dietary fiber, which promotes healthy digestion and can help prevent constipation in children.
- Protein Boost: Peas provide plant-based protein, which is essential for the muscle and tissue development of growing babies.
- Antioxidant Properties: And peas contain antioxidants like flavonoids and carotenoids, which can help boost your child’s immune system and protect their cells from damage.
- Mild Flavor and Texture: Besides the obvious health benefits of peas, many babies and toddlers enjoy the naturally sweet and mild flavor of peas. The texture of pea soup can be adapted to your child’s age and developmental stage which makes it an easy soup recipe to incorporate in your family meal plan.
WHEN TO INTRODUCE PEA SOUP TO BABIES
Pea soup can be introduced when your child is ready for solids and displays signs of readiness, such as sitting up with support and showing interest in food. This usually happens at 6 months of age.
TIPS FOR PREPARING PEA SOUP FOR BABIES AND TODDLERS
- Fresh or Frozen Peas: You can use fresh or frozen peas to make pea soup. Frozen peas are convenient and maintain their nutritional value.
- Texture Adjustments: Depending on your child’s age and preference, you can adjust the soup’s texture. Younger babies may prefer a smoother consistency, while older ones might enjoy some chunkier pieces.
- Seasoning: Avoid adding salt, sugar, or strong seasonings that might overwhelm your baby’s developing taste buds. Instead, introduce mild herbs and spices gradually. Soups are a great way to introduce mild spices like turmeric, and cumin powder, and herbs like powdered rosemary and thyme.
- Serving Temperature: Serve the pea soup warm or at room temperature. It’s best to first ensure it’s not too hot to avoid any risk of mouth burns.
THE BEST PEA SOUP RECIPE FOR BABIES AND TODDLERS
Here is a delicious and easy recipe for pea soup for babies and toddlers. You can use frozen peas for convenience which makes this recipe easy to add to your family meal plan any time of the year.
Pair it with crusty bread or a grilled cheese sandwich for a more filling meal. For babies, we pair this soup alongside mashed avocado and quinoa mix for texture and added nutrients.
Pea Soup For Babies And Toddlers
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp coconut cream/thick coconut milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a soup pot, add chopped garlic, a bay leaf, and cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds splutter add chopped onions and sauté until translucent.
- Now add the peas, water, turmeric powder, and seasoning(for baby above age 1) and cook until the peas cook through. Takes roughly about 10 minutes.
- Cool down, remove bay leaf, and blend the soup in a blender.
- Once blended transfer back to the soup pot and warm the soup. When serving add some coconut cream on top.
- For toddlers, you can even add cream and toasted chopped walnuts for added flavor and nutrition.
That’s it, a super simple and great way to include an iron-rich food in your family’s diet.
For more soup recipes for babies check this post of mine.
With winter coming soon, why not try this broccoli soup for kids? It is tasty and healthy and so fuss-free to make on a regular basis.
If you try any of these and want to share your family experience do comment below.
Until next time.