Ragi (Finger Millet) is a revered first food for babies in India. Our food culture has many ragi recipes for babies. From ragi porridge to ragi malt-based drinks, this nutritious millet can be incorporated in a variety of ways into the baby’s diet. Among the many ragi flour recipes for babies are these ragi pancakes.
Even if you follow baby-led weaning you can still include the goodness of ragi nutrition through pancakes. These pancakes are easy baby-led weaning finger foods that can be made for breakfast or packed for travel.
Ragi (finger millet) is ideally suited for babies because it is easy to digest, and rich in iron and calcium.
RAGI PANCAKES: RAGI RECIPE FOR BABY
I love experimenting with ragi flour recipes, be it in different types of ragi porridges or quick meals like pancakes.
Recently I paired ragi flour with jav flour (barley flour) to make these delicious pancakes. This ragi pancake combination is rich in both iron and calcium and super healthy for growing children.
When serving these ragi pancakes to babies under 1, steer clear of adding any maple syrup or other sweetening agents like honey and jaggery.
This ragi pancake is ideal as:
Travel-friendly snack for toddlers
It is extremely easy to build pancakes using whole grain flours and children love them too. In my new ebook – The Easy Toddler Snack Book I show you how to build pancakes using oat flour, whole wheat flour, ragi flour, and amaranth flour. The ebook contains these pancake recipes plus many more easy and healthy snacks like energy bars, energy balls, puddings, smoothies, and patties.
These are recipes we enjoy together with our son as a family and have helped us shift to a more Whole Foods focussed diet at home.
RAGI PANCAKES: BABY LED WEANING INDIAN RECIPES
This pancake is one of the more easily accepted ragi recipes for kids. Young or old most kids won’t notice any difference in the taste and enjoy the combination of the wholesome pancake teamed with honey and creamy nut butter.
- 4 tbsp Ragi flour
- 2 tbsp Jav (barley) flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Almond flour
- 1 tsp Flaxseed powder
- 1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the coconut milk (just enough to cover the ingredients)2. Mix well to remove all lumps.3. Set the batter aside for 20 minutes. (The flaxseed powder works as an egg replacement and helps the pancake rise.)4. On a hot pan add oil evenly to cover the surface. Then scoop out small circle shaped batter on the pan and let each side cook for about 5 minutes.5. Serve with maple syrup and cashew butter.
- You can replace the barley flour with wheat or oat flour.
- Use any milk you like. We liked the flavor of these pancakes with coconut milk and almond milk the best.
- You can pair the pancakes with any nut butter you have on hand - peanut butter, almond butter, or homemade Nutella.
Have you tried adding ragi flour to a pancake mix?
Want more wholesome ragi based baby products? Early Foods makes many varieties of millet porridge mixes, cookies, teething sticks and more using very little jaggery and whole ingredients. These are a big hit in our home and now you too can enjoy them with an 10% discount on your next purchase from Early Foods. Use code EASYMOMMYLIFE10 at checkout.
Do you have other interesting ragi flour recipes of your own? Do leave us a comment below with your ragi recipes for kids. All of us can learn and try something new.
For more ragi recipes for babies, follow me on Instagram where I post about healthy meals for kids and family regularly. Until next time, Ciao!