Some children are picky when it comes to meat-based dishes. The texture and taste can take a while to get used to. For others especially with Indian cuisine, the problem may be the spice level of the meal. Today, I will share with you a one pot coconut chicken rice dish. This recipe is low in spice and a yummy chicken meal for kids.
For more one pot chicken meals that are easy to make and that the entire family can enjoy together, get my eBook, Easy Family Meals. It includes 36 tasty recipes that you can quickly whip up on weeknights. The recipes focus on Whole foods adding a variety with ease, and getting in as many nutrients as possible with each meal.
Now, let’s go to our coconut chicken rice recipe.
COCONUT CHICKEN RICE | CHICKEN MEALS FOR KIDS
Coconut Chicken Rice Recipe | Chicken Meals For Kids
- 1 cup rice washed and soaked for 1 hour
- 1 cup chicken pieces
- 1 can coconut milk 400 ml
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 cloves
- 1-2 star anise
- 6-7 whole peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- In a pot heat oil and seal the chicken pieces from all sides.
- Once done, remove the chicken pieces and fry the whole spices (bay leaf, cloves, star anise, peppercorns) in the fat left behind for about a minute or two.
- Now add the rice and chicken pieces in the pot and mix.
- Add the coconut milk, water, salt and turmeric powder. Mix and cook as you would cook the rice. Takes about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
This chicken recipe is mild enough for kids to enjoy and combines the creaminess of the coconut with the warmth of the spices really well.
Related reading : Healthy toddler meal ideas that are picky eater approved.
If your child is still getting used to spicy flavors, this recipe is a good one to introduce spices gradually, as whole spices don’t usually have that much of a spicy kick to them.
What are some of your family favorite chicken rice flavor combos? Let me know in the comments below.
For more easy family meals you can check my ebook here.
Until next time!