Sweet potatoes are a preferred first food for babies in most parts of the world. They are easy to prepare and babies usually take to the sweet taste immediately. Today, I will be sharing a yummy sweet potato mash for babies.
This recipe only contains 3 ingredients and can be whipped up quickly on busy days without much hassle.
IS SWEET POTATO GOOD FOR BABY?
Yes, sweet potato is easy to digest, contains Vit A, Vit C, Vit B, iron, potassium, and magnesium all of which are beneficial for babies.
CAN BABY EAT SWEET POTATO EVERYDAY?
While it is not a problem to eat a nutrient dense food like sweet potatoes everyday, it is always best to provide a variety of nutritious foods so that the child can gain exposures to different textures and types of foods from an early age.
Related reading : Lentil recipes for babies and toddlers. (Baby led weaning friendly recipes)
RECIPE FOR SWEET POTATO MASH FOR BABIES
Sweet Potato Mash For Babies
- Pressure cooker
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Wash and peel the sweet potato.
- Flash cook them in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. If not using a pressure cooker, cook in an open pot in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Once boiled, transfer the sweet potato pieces to a bowl and roughly mash with a fork.
- Heat butter in a pan. Once the butter has melted add the roughly mashed sweet potato and thyme. Mix and mash the butter into the sweet potatoes.
- Once the butter and sweet poatoes are well combined, turn off the heat and serve.
HOW TO SERVE SWEET POTATO MASH
You can serve the sweet potato mash as a side with your baby’s meal. It is also suitable for baby led weaning meals with a pre-loaded spoon or for practice of pincer grasp.
Another sweet potato mash finger food variation you can try is to shape the potato mash into long finger length size and lightly fry it with roasted semolina or breadcrumb coating for easier grip.
Click here for more baby led weaning finger foods ideas and recipes.
This sweet potato mash also works with picky toddlers who may prefer a sweet potato mash if they already love mashed potatoes. It is easier to swap and more nutritious too.
Do try this sweet potato mash for babies and toddlers and comment below what are your child’s favorite sweet potato recipes?
1 thought on “Yummy Sweet Potato Mash for Babies”
Tried it. Thank you.